What is American Airlines Emotional Support Animal? United Airlines Emotional Support Animal, unlike guide dogs, are pets that do not need specific training. They can be of any race and species, although they must be able to behave appropriately in public and not cause problems. These types of pets are recommended for people with panic, anxiety, or social phobia.
American Airlines Emotional Support Animal (Changes Travel Policies)
American Airlines Flight Status joins the still small list of airlines that will change their policies regarding service or emotional support animals. Setting a tougher stance supported by the latest rule issued by the United States Department of Transportation (DOT).
As we mentioned before, the new DOT rule defines a service or United Airlines Emotional Support Animal as a dog individually trained for work or performing tasks that can benefit the person with a disability.
Most of these animals are “prescribed” by a mental health professional, and according to the DOT, they will be able to continue flying as normal as long as all the necessary documents are presented, including a DOT form that proves the health. of the animal, its training and behavior; This authorization will be valid for a period of 12 months.
The airline informed all its passengers with a purchased ticket and that they intend to travel with their pet, and if it does not meet the requirements, they will be able to make their trip until February 1, when the new airline rules come into force.
This new rule came after a wave of complaints to the DOT, denouncing the abuse of many passengers, entering or trying to enter animals that did not meet the behavioral requirements, taking advantage of what was called a loophole in the service rule.
Do American Airlines Allow Pets On Board?
We want you to take your furry friend with you when you travel. That is why we allow the following small animals in the cabin on all our domestic flights including Puerto Rico and St. Thomas, USVI
Please note that as of January 11, 2021, American Airlines Emotional Support Animal will travel as pets based on updated Department of Transportation requirements.
For an animal to travel as a pet, it must meet and follow the following requirements:
- Domestic dogs
- Domestic cats
- Small domestic birds (except to/from Puerto Rico and St. Thomas, USVI)
- Small domestic rabbits (except to/from Puerto Rico and St. Thomas, USVI)
Please consider the following guidelines when taking your pet with you:
- American Airlines does not require a health certificate for pets traveling with the customer in the aircraft cabin, except for those traveling to USVI.
- American Airlines does require a rabies vaccination certificate for pets that travel by clients in the cabin of the plane to Puerto Rico.
- Exotic animals such as snakes, spiders, rodents, etc. they will not be allowed.
- A maximum of 2 pets per container is allowed, but only one container per customer is allowed.
- Animals must be able to stand and move comfortably in the container.
- Animals must remain in the carrier for the duration of the flight.
- Animals must remain in the pet must be at least (8) weeks old and eat solids.
- The animal must be harmless, not cause damage, must not smell or require attention during the flight.
- If the animal becomes offensive or causes a disturbance before leaving the door; will be deleted.
- The pet cannot be sick, violent, or in physical danger.
- We recommend that you notify us in advance; however, it is not required.
- You can select any seat in the cabin except the front row and the emergency exit rows.
- The total weight of the pet and charger cannot exceed 40 pounds (18.14 kg.)
American Airlines Emotional Support Animal – Requirements For Pet Carriers
The animal must be in a container subject to inspection and approval by the American. Container dimensions must not exceed 18 “x 14” x 9 “and must be able to fit under the seat.
Pet will count as” one-plus-one “carry-on luggage. Pet carriers will count as bags Soft containers are allowed in the cabin, but not the kind that allows the pet’s head to remain outside the container.
You must ensure that the container meets all government requirements for the safe transportation of the animal.
American Airlines Emotional Support Animal – Pet Container Guidelines
The container must be inspected and approved by American and must fit under the seat in front of the guest who is traveling with the animal [maximum container size must be 18 x 14 x 9 inches (45.72 cm x 35.56 cm x 22.86 cm) in overall dimensions (length x width x height)].
The combined weight of the pet and container cannot exceed 40 pounds (18.14 kg). The pet must remain in the container at all times and must be able to stand and turn around in the container.
Note: If you have a connection with another airline, you should contact it directly to know its terms and conditions for the transport of service animals and American Airlines Emotional Support Animal.